We all want to be better at something, that's why this post will be my reminder to become better at something especially at being a developer.
- Being a developer is not just about writing code, it's also about communication, being a good team player, vision, creativity and other soft skills. This reminds me of someone who thinks that his way is always right, not accepting any inputs from others, this is just wrong... That's why code review is your friend.
- Instead of working hard be lazy about things, take a break and comeback then look at it in different angle. This always happens to me when I'm stuck on something, take a break, or even chat with someone about this specific problem.
- The most important skill as developer is being able to google things. Google is not the solution to everything but knowing how to use it efficiently is definitely a skill that any experienced developer should have. Check below for how to google things.
- Unit testing can be completely waste of time especially when the project are not well defined and likely to change as the project evolves. Quality is a lot more important than quantity when it comes to testing.
- Customer / User is not always right, don't just say yes to everything. Always ask critical question, when it's align with you then go for it.
Sometimes some people uses those online tests about algorithm to define a senior developer. In my opinion that's not true, even new grads will be able to ace those tests, will they become a senior developer? But still those algorithm is there for something, still need to learn those but it can't be something to define a senior developer. To be a senior developer is when :
- you analyze a problem and find a solution quickly
- you write advanced code to solve something complex
- you are able to learn new technology with ease
- you know about design pattern
- you can take architectural decision
- are a mentor
- understand business
- have self management
- You need to know that you have a finite amount of willpower
- You use the same stock of willpower for all task
- A person wakes up and start doing the creative work first and he's going to get a lot more accomplished
- Every unimportant thing you do depletes your willpower that you could dedicated to the one important thing that you most want in life
How to outsmart everybody else
- You need to learn to think because thinking makes you act effectively in the world.
- If you can think, speak and write, you are absolutely deadly.
- If you're going to make a point and they're going to make their point, you better have your points organized otherwise you're going to look like an idiot
- If you can formulate arguments coherently and make presentation, if you can speak to people, if you can layout a proposal. Everyone will want you.
- If your student are stupid, they're not going to challenge you.
How to Google things
Not everything but this helps when trying to find a solution for specific things.
Exact match = "" Specific Url = site:url exclude = -keyword after year = after:1999 before year = before:2020 range = 2015..2019 , #..#, $10..$20 comparing = (a | b) c wildcard = *.domain.com, how to * something filetype = filetype:pdf related = related:domain.com latest cache = cache:domain.com